Saturday 13 August 2016

Why it's time to shelf the children's menu

I really enjoy going out for a nice meal, with some good company.  I’m at the stage of my life where I would much rather meet friends for a dinner than to meet in a bar for drinks.  Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy a glass or two of wine, but when you have special little people in your life, a Sunday spent with a hangover is a waste of a day!

Even if I’m not meeting friends, my weekends with my son are precious and I love to go out for dinner as a family.  No cooking, no cleaning up, good atmosphere and a chance to talk.  But the more I do indulge myself with meals out, the more frustrated I get by this idea of a “kid’s menu”.  Why is it that the restaurant industry think that just because children don’t require an adult size portion, that they need to be fed fried food, chips or pasta?

Are we insulting the parents by assuming that this is what they want to feed their children and that they wouldn’t know any better, or are we insulting our children, assuming that this is the only food they want to eat?? I have a policy in my house that my son eats the same dinner as I do.  And I don’t want to go to a nice restaurant to only have the option of Spaghetti Bolognese or Chicken Nuggets, so why should he?

I have a difficult journey with my son in terms of food.  When we were weaning, he ate anything and everything I gave to him (homemade purees though, I’m not a fan of the prepared food I’m afraid), but it had to be smooth.  Any sign of a lump and he would gag.  This continued for a long time, but he did grow out of it, eventually.  And then came the aversion to food.  If he decided he didn’t like the look of certain foods, he did not want to eat them.  He refused point blank, and if I did encourage him to “just try one bite” he would literally gag and make himself sick! But I refused to give in and feed him pasta every night just because I knew he would eat it.  I got creative and found different ways of ensuring he had a varied diet, included food he loved with foods he didn’t, making dinner times more fun, having him help me cook, choose the food we bought..you get the idea! And eventually it paid off.  I now have a five year old who loves everything from spinach to onion, sushi to salmon – he still has certain foods he doesn’t like, but who doesn’t!

So, why should my child, or any other child, only have limited, boring options whenever they go out for dinner? Should we just scrap the “kid’s menu” altogether and allow them small portions at a reduced price of any of the adult meal? Or if the most appealing thing about a McDonald’s “dinner” is that their meals come in a box with a toy, then how about we give children their food in a box with a toy…but more like a bento box than a cardboard one?? Restaurants employ chefs for their creativity and flair with food, so why not allow them to bring this skill for the benefit of our most important people? Just because they are not paying the bill, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be impressed with their dinner too!!

I think this is a sort of a period of food revolution, so let’s give our children more credit and allow them to join in, have a say in their own health and wellbeing and eat for nourishment instead of ease?? Let’s replace the sausages with salmon and the chips with some roast vegetables.  I can’t imagine it would take too much more effort to put some vegetables and fish in an oven than it would to throw food in a deep fat fryer. 


Until parents start to put pressure on restauranteurs to implement these changes, they won’t happen.  So the next time you are out for a meal with your family, ask the kitchen to prepare something nutritious for your child.  With their magic ability to make good food taste amazing, I have no doubt we will end up with a nation of little foodies! Healthy little foodies that is….

No comments:

Post a Comment